Saturday, May 19, 2007

Blog Name Concerns

Here is the second installment on US Health Care 2.0. I was severely disappointed when I tried to Google my own blog to see if ANYONE could find it. As I typed in the title of the blog and searched available entities, I came up with a PAGE of stuff titled US Health Care 2.0! The one that incensed me the most was the use of the term and Steve Case.

Now, I have always had a very low opinion of AOL. The company seemed to be successful IN SPITE of themselves, not because of good management (Case) or business model. AOL just happened to be very lucky and have had very good "friends". Worst of all, I feel that Time-Warner is too good of a company to be connected to AOL, and I loathe the fact AOL owns one of my favorite franchises, Bugs Bunny. They don't deserve him!

Never the less, here in black and white of my screen was a suck-up article by someone who feels the world is now realigned correctly due to the fact Steve Case is on the job. (The article can be found at: http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog.html?id=177420 ).

I am unimpressed. Not that such a site as Case's is needed, but as to the messenger. "I believe health care in this country is screwed up," Case said during a webcast. "People generally don't trust it." That is true for many parts of the US Health Care system. What Case fails to recognize is that his "Q" rating or trust factor isn't all that great itself.

Part of the problem is the fact that what was is not what should be. Case really doesn't represent anything I can grasp and say with conviction a resounding, "YES" he has any ability to be "what should be"! To the contrary. His time at the helm of AOL forces me to feel just the opposite and not trust him, at all. So, what do we have...another old member of the established process putting some fancy web pages on line and buying some people to do the work. All well and good, but, what's in it for Case. Remember, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch (in other word(s) TANSTAAFL - with many many thanks to Kurt Vonnegut). So Case's motivation is just like anyone or any other company's. Actually, it is the same as mine and I don't particularly want to share it with Case. He had his hit, now it's my turn because I can do it better, faster and much cheaper.

Spoken like a true entrepreneur.

No comments: